You might be asking yourself what the benefits of GPS tracking systems are for you as a business owner as well as the obvious advantages for your dispatching or fleet management staff. What you should know is that the implementation of a GPS tracking system has a variety of features that have a positive effect on many other departments and divisions.
Any business that has a fleet of vehicles, farm, shipping, limousines, taxis, or construction equipment would benefit from the installation of GPS tracking devices. Not only are they extremely useful for vehicle tracking, they can be used as a people locator. GPS uses a network of 24 satellites in staggered orbits around the Earth. At any time, from any location on the planet, four of these satellites are "visible" -- capable of receiving and sending signals. This means tracking devices can by used at any moment in time for vehicle tracking or as a people locator to track staff.
Once the unit is installed, it will communicate with the 4 satellites and transmit the following information: latitude, longitude, altitude and time. The location data is transmitted via cellular modem to the Vehiclepath database where it is translated and placed on a "Google" street map to be viewed by you in your account. The process repeats as the receiver moves and the unit constantly updates the information. If there is a vehicle tracking unit in a fleet of taxicabs, for example, the central dispatcher can monitor each vehicle's location, stop time, route taken and speed. An even more critical application would be to have these GPS units installed in a fleet of ambulances or police patrol cars.
Another extremely important application for GPS involves tracking stolen vehicles. With tracking devices installed, vehicles can be rapidly located and recovered, often within minutes of the theft. GPS vehicle tracking devices can also be found on boats, planes, movie-making gear and laptop computers. GPS technology has unlimited benefits and uses. No matter how small or large, a company only stands to profit by using the type of technology that GPS tracking.
- Accounting - Your accounting department will benefit from the use of reports generated from your Vehiclepath website, not to mention the huge plus of cutting back on fuel consumption and overtime. Even the vehicles benefit from lower mileage and increased data on required maintenance.
- Customer Service - The use of the Vehiclepath GPS tracking system will make the jobs of your customer service staff easier and more streamlined. Your customers will benefit from increased accuracy, faster status reporting, detailed billing information, and fewer delays in arrival time. These are just a few of the ways your customers and your employees will enjoy GPS tracking.
- Dispatch -The Vehiclepath GPS tracking system will make it possible for dispatchers to send drivers to an increased number of jobs without the cost of hiring more drivers or purchasing more vehicles. Routing becomes easier and clearer resulting in increased accuracy, lower fuel consumption, less wear and tear on your vehicles, and so much more. The advantages to your dispatchers are valuable and immediate.
- Drivers/Account Receivables - Your drivers can supplement their work orders by verifying their time spent at appointments and job sites. This offers them a reliable way to track their progress and protects them (and you!) against customer complaints and billing disputes. A GPS tracking system will provide all the details necessary to show time of arrival, time spent at a site, and more!
- Sales Department - Clearer routing will promote the idea of increased sales by making it to more appointments throughout the course of a work day, increasing their volume and your bottom line. You will become knowledgeable in demonstrating ways that clients benefit, and your sales staff and their productivity can be monitored by your GPS tracking system.
- Upper Management - Increased efficiency saves time and money, which results in a larger return on your investment. Your customers will benefit from up to the minute information. These improve the image of your company and increase your customer base, too!
To learn more about the Vehiclepath GPS tracking system that will fit the goals and requirements of your business, contact Vehiclepath and speak to one of our knowledgeable sales staff today! We can help you get started tracking your fleet and saving money today.
Each GPS record consists of the following:
- Location: Address, City, State, Zip
- Direction of travel
The VehiclePath GPS tracking device will work in the US, Canada and some border areas of Mexico (special pricing and activation needed for Canada and Mexico use).
You can receive alerts to your cell phone identifying what the alert is for and the location of the vehicle. It will also identify the speed provide location within 50 feet of geofence.
No, the VehiclePath GPS fleet tracking system provides a complete service including the GPS tracker, software and network connectivity to the tracker. All you need is a PC with an internet connection and a vehicle to track!
VehiclePath has an API allows you to integrate location data from your vehicles into your web site(s) and/or data collection infrastructures.
There are two API functions at this time. To return the last location of the vehicles associated with your account. Return all locations for a specific vehicle between two dates (maximum 500). The API is based upon an HTTP POST request followed by an XML response.
Get instructions for the API that works best for you:
Connect the brown wire from the tracking unit to the power unlock wire. The tracking unit sends a negative pulse to unlock the doors. If your vehicle needs a positive pulse, you will need to use a relay to convert the negative to a positive. Click here to view products and download Installation Guides.
Locate the starter wire. Connect the white wire on the relay to the starter wire (starter side). Connect the red wire from the relay to the ignition side. Connect the green wire to the starter relay.
VehiclePath users get an unlimited number of locates to use during each month. This gives users the ability to locate a vehicle in between their normal locates.
There is no maintenance required. Once the VehiclePath GPS tracking device is installed, you are on your way to increased efficiency and productivity.
VehiclePath uses Google mapping which includes a standard map, satellite, and hybrid (lays map over satellite image).
You can have 3 alert recipients for each device. A recipient may be either an email address or a cell phone number. If a recipient is a cell phone then the message will be delivered as SMS.
You can have 50 geofences for each GPS vehicle tracking device and 50 global geofences per account. Each geofence is square and centered around an address that you specify.
The device reports its location every 30 seconds, 1, 2, or 5 minutes while in motion. The reported speed is the speed when the location is taken so you will receive a speed alert if your driver is speeding at the instant of the location. The smaller the location interval the smaller the interval your driver can speed without detection. Similarly, with geofence alerts, the entry or exit of a geofence is determined when a location is taken. The smaller the time interval between locations means the sooner you will know when a driver has entered or exited a geofence.
Your vehicle is located every 30 seconds*, 1, 2, or 5 minutes while it is in motion (depending on the service you purchase). Sometimes your vehicle will be out of cellular coverage but you will still receive these locations when your vehicle comes back into cellular coverage. However, there will be times when your device is hidden from GPS satellites so you will miss these locations but that should be infrequent. Click here to see how it works. * Available with specific models only. Check with sales distributor for details.
Yes. A good installation is virtually undetectable by the driver. It is important to follow the instructions given in the installation guide to ensure the tracker is both hidden and fully functional. Contact us if you need help with installation.
It is easy to install for somebody who is handy. The GPS vehicle tracker needs to be placed under the dashboard (with zip ties) and the antenna needs to be placed with a view to the sky. The installation guide provides easy to follow instructions. Most customers are able to install the tracker in under an hour. If you are not particularly handy then most automotive garages can install the GPS tracker for around $75. If you need assistance, please contact us.